.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

just a bunch of stuff

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Making Your Bluetooth Dongle Work With Widcomm's My Bluetooth Places

If you have a BT dongle that shipped with the Blue Soleil or other non-Widcomm BT software you may not be able to work with it as easily as you can with the Widcomm "My Bluetooth Software" and you'll find that your BT dongle probably won't work with the Widcomm software at all.

Until Now!

Follow the detailed instructions below and all should be well.

DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED!

WIDCOMM Drivers and Software Version 4 Install Guide

PLEASE READ FULLY

Please note all credit goes to Jon from Jonsguide.com for this material. I am presenting it here for your convenience.

For a list of tested devices please see: http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/tested.html
If your device isn't there don't worry as long as it can use the Widcomm software.
I have done this successfully myself with a generic BT dongle that shipped only with the Blue Soleil software and would not work with the Widcomm s/w.

Initial preparation
• Make sure you are logged onto Windows with a user account that has Administrative rights.
• Disable anti-virus software.
• If you have a firewall running on your PC, disable it.

Disconnect your BT device:

Before pulling it out find it in the device manager and uninstall the device.
If you have a USB or a PCMCIA/PC Card Bluetooth device, disconnect it.

If you have a laptop/notebook or other device with Internal Bluetooth that can be "turned off" turn it off.

Uninstall previous Bluetooth software:

If you have previously installed any Bluetooth software you should uninstall it before proceeding.
The following list is of software that should be uninstalled, but it is not necessarily a complete list!
• Any previous Widcomm software
• Any previous Soleil software
• Sony Bluespace software
• XTNDConnect Blue Manager software
• Microsoft Patch Q323183
• Any drivers that were supplied with your Bluetooth device
• Microsoft IntelliType and IntelliPoint software for Bluetooth mice & Keyboards.

REBOOT!!!

PLEASE NOTE: THE LINKS SHOWN MAY NOT STILL WORK. USING GOOGLE or YAHOO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND THEM.

Download and extract the files:
Download the Widcomm Version 4 Software from here:
http://www.playstation2.com.ve/store/view_doc.php?view_doc=23
Extract the downloaded file to a new folder of your choice. (Link updated 2/23/06 - site is in Spanish but what you need is in English. If link is bad search for "bluetooth_patches.rar").

VERY IMPORTANT:
Replace btwusb.inf in the extracted folder with this one for USB:
http://www.playstation2.com.ve/store/view_doc.php?view_doc=23

Download the patched files from here and extract to default directory:
http://www.playstation2.com.ve/store/view_doc.php?view_doc=23

Driver Installation:

Now for the driver and software installation. Go to the folder where the Widcomm files were extracted and run setup.exe and let it complete its tasks. It may ask you to plug in/enable your device. If it does, click 'cancel' and it will continue without it. (If you have to plug it in and it installs the microsoft drivers don't panic just continue with the guide.)

Once completed REBOOT the PC into SAFE MODE (F8 when booting).

Software Patching:

Reboot into safe mode if you've not already done so.

Use the files extracted from the patched file to replace the following:

BTTray & BTStackserver in C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software;

BTNeighborhood.dll & wbtapi.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32

REBOOT the PC normally.

Bluetooth Installation:

If you did not plug in/re-enable your bluetooth device during installation, do so now and it will install the Widcomm drivers if you renamed the MS drivers as described in my earlier post.

The Widcomm icon should now be in your task bar and be white on blue. Your device should now be working properly with Widcomm drivers version 4.x.x.x.
If for some reason your device is not listed or not working you may have missed a step or done something wrong. You should start again from the beginning of this guide as it may work the second time.

***Please note...although this process has worked very successfully for me I provide no guarantees that it will work for you and I am not responsible for any data loss or other problems you encounter. Remember, if all else fails, System Restore is your friend!

ONE MORE IMPORTANT NOTE:

Before doing all of the above and solving my problem, I tried to use the Blue Soleil software that shipped with the dongle. In doing so my Motorola Razr v3 then could not receive files from my other known working installation of the Widcomm s/w on another PC with a different dongle. This was NOT solved by turning the phone off and back on but WAS SOLVED by removing the battery from the phone for 30 seconds and then restarting the phone. So, if you've been fooling around with a Blue Soleil installation, remove the battery from your phone for 30 seconds and then try with the new Widcomm installation.

Any comments or enhancements are always welcome!

24 Comments:

  • Please see my other post about Downloading games with Bluetooth. The red on blue means that the Widcomm s/w is not seeing your BT dongle. The post I refer to has a URL to an MS article on renaming a file that should be done if you use XP SP2.
    Also, the post (1/21/05) contains instructions on switching to the Widcomm Driver from Device Manager to solve the problem.
    Let me know if you need help with it. To find the post just scroll down to the second header on the brobin111.blogspot.com page.

    By Blogger BruceR, at 12:23 AM  

  • Thanks from the bottom of my heart dear BruceR. I've been a week going around the internet to solve my problem and finally I found the solution in your post dear dreind Thanks a million for your help.

    Although I still have a small insignificant problem, I am trying to connect my BT headset which is a nokia HDW3 to the PC it is recognized and even paired to the PC but when I try to use it to hear some video or otherwise on the PC I only hear a beeping sound but I think its only a matter of settings.

    Before I found your post I didn't manage to connect to my Nokia 6260 from the nokia Pc suite but now my freind thanks to you its working fantastic.

    Thanks again for your help.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • Man I am from the nokia forums....

    **NOTE**
    I am not GAY



    But I must say this , that after following your guide I was so happy that if you would be in front of me I would definitely have hugged you and kissed you (on your cheeks :-D)

    (I repeat I aint GAY !! )

    I must say that there are geniuses sitting out there

    I wish who ever came up wid this solution, his wishes come true and Brucer your's too.... coz u guided us till here.

    Thanks pal, after all the hardwork I was worried that your instructions didn't work...but then suddendly The mrouter icon changed to Online mode , Walah!

    it was done. superb!!

    Man but I need a lil advise....now that I have got the PC suite working, how do i add mp3 songs to my MMC or Mobile Memory?

    coz when I tried copying an *.mp3 song, it got converted into *.wav

    Any hints on what to do now?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

  • Hey man, another problem.... Before installing the drivers, and doing everything Midi files used to work on my PC....

    Now they aint... I think it is because of the Bluetooth Audio Driver it adds.

    Plus, My phone got connected for the first time I did it.... after that, I haven't been able to get the nokia Suite connected!! :'(

    Right now I am trying out by uninstalling both the widcomm drivers and PC suite, then try reinstalling them....

    Any comments that will help?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 AM  

  • Sorry I don't have any info about Nokia software. I'm only familiar with Motorola phones as they're all I've used since 1988! Tried a Nokia once but wasn't happy with it - guess it's what you're used to. As for the midi files not playing, you may have to make a change in file associations on your PC.

    By Blogger BruceR, at 6:13 PM  

  • Strange, I thought this whole thing was for Nokia Pc Suite...

    still your instructions helped me for the first time....

    atfter that I haven't been able to connect my Nokia to Pc suite. :-(

    When I 1st did what u said, the PC suite's connection manager showed Bluetooth there, but now it doesn't show those ports :'(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 AM  

  • Actually I did all this so I could upload games to my Motorola v3 without cables and other software. You might have to uninstall all this and revert to the MS driver to
    use the Nokia PC Suite but that's only a guess as I'm unfamiliar with that package.

    By Blogger BruceR, at 10:08 PM  

  • Try reinstalling PC suite - it is supposed to work with the widcomm stack.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:36 AM  

  • First of all thank you very much for the effort you took in answering my question on Google groups and in setting up this site.

    I have followed your instructions on a IBM Thinkpad X30 with built-in Bluetooth and can confirm that it works with a Motorola V500.

    However the link you provide for the Bluetooth-drivers does not seem to work any more (you can download a zip-file there, but it does not contain the drivers) so you have to go to the Widcomm download-pages and get a self-extracting .exe-file.
    However once you extracted that the procedure works just as described.
    On my machine I was not able at first to drag jar-files to the Orbix-push icon, but an extra reboot resolved that.
    Really nice work - thanks again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • my mail is: msrsen@siol.net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • working great now my bluetooth, thank you thank you, the link still work good
    sam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:37 AM  

  • As much as I wish the links provided would remain stable, they come and go daily. A thorough search through Yahoo or Google should find them though.

    By Blogger BruceR, at 6:35 PM  

  • Get the files via my blog here.

    By Blogger Tao, at 5:31 AM  

  • I couldn't get my P900 Sony Ericsson phone to connect, download or sync so I thought I had to update the PC Suite, Service Update, Update the Modem driver, etc from the website which has taken me alot of time, effort and frustration.

    When installing the PC Suite 3.1.1_EN why does it prompt that I have missing wbtapi.dll file when I am not even using any bluetooth device? I couldn't finish the installation.

    Would appreciate you can shed some light on some of my concerns.

    Thank you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:51 AM  

  • I have a v600 and I tried your instructions. I could find my cellphone when i look for the device, but I could not send/receive files. please help!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 PM  

  • dude that awesome i was trying ,my issc bt for a long time ..but ur advice proved to be the best thing ever

    thanks ....


    karan
    kuwait
    x-play7@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

  • Up for hours last night trying to get my V600 to transfer files. After installing and uninstalling every variety of bluetooth software out there, your method finally worked perfectly.

    You are the man!!

    Cheers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 AM  

  • dude

    there seems 2 b an alternative...

    my bt hardware is MSI Starkey which came with driver version 4.0.1.0 or something...

    still the same problem showed on my client pc (although my server didnt show this problem)...
    problem being Nokia PC Suite being unable to connect to a Nokia 7610

    then i just went to
    my computer -> properties -> hardware -> device manager

    expanded Bluetooth Devices

    right clicked on the option OTHER THAN Bluetooth Bus Enumerator

    went into its properties

    selected "Update Driver..." on the driver card

    allowed it "connect to the internet" on the next screen

    and voila...it did something...driver was updated to 5.something (it even moved with a new option on the "Device Manager" screen, name "Bluetooth Radios")

    and everything was OK

    anyways...your solution seems 2 b solving a lot of problems on different devices so good work on that...may try this as an initial attempt...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

  • Thank you for spending the time to document all of this. I've had a really tough time trying to find any info on transferring files to/from phone via bluetooth outside of "phone suites" type of software.
    I hope to impose on you one more time.
    I have a Motorola V3 Razr w/ Cingular. I have a IBM T40 bluetooth enabled laptop. Everything seems to work "out of box" together except the Obex PUsh thing to install jar files. It acts like it's going to work and then fails w/ something like "failed to connect".
    Do you know if Cingular has disabled phones from loading games outside of downloading it from them? I've heard this may be so but can't find any info either way.
    Thanks again!
    Ed

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • Almost had my hopes up - Windows Vista on an Inspiron 9300 with a BlueSoleil USB Dongle produced this result:
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

    Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
    It is stuck "searching" for a solution...But WXP Great!!!
    I might have an update soon tho.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 PM  

  • Perfect, everyhing works, its just not too easy to find the files :) Dude, you should sell this tip to Nokia and all dumbass 'experts' who work at operators' and dealers' offices.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:32 AM  

  • The Links does not work. Could you please fix or indicate us where to find the file please?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • The links keep changing so you'll have to Google it for new ones. Sorry.

    By Blogger BruceR, at 9:54 AM  

  • Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home